Slow Growing Projects
I'll let you in on a personal secret: I'm a terrible gardener. I've killed everything I've ever owned with great remorse. Members of the Plant Cemetary have included: a ficus tree, a Wandering Jew [see picture], an orchid, thyme, lemon thyme, rosemary, some little purple flower thingies, a delicate green moss like plant, green ivy and horsetail. The latter two I was told were unkillable, but they obviously didn't know about my herbicidal powers.My mom on the other hand is practically a professional gardener. But when she traveled she was forced to entrust her green friends to my care. Thankfully I never let her down although she made it virtually dummy-proof: attaching a post-it note to each pot, with instructions on how much to water it and how often.
My problem is that I'm too impatient for gardening. It's so "slow growing." Nothing appears to be happening for the longest time and then one day bam--there it is!
But I believe I'm finally maturing. One of my recent pet projects, an eco-style blog called Fabulously Green has been a labor of love. I water it daily with 1-2 entries, and have enjoyed watching the readership grow. With minimal promotion, readers tune in from around the US and the globe! Here's a picture map of the last 100 folks who visited the site today:
In three months, I've connected with readers from Canada, Mexico, Morocco, Kenya, UK, Germany, Finland, Australia, Taiwan, Korea, Portugal, and both Red and Blue states. I've watched it grow from 10 daily readers to 20, and this week it's taking a little spike to 40. All very exciting. I feel really connected to the world and to the planet for the first time in my life. And enjoying the seeds of knowledge I'm planting and watching them take shape one reader at a time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home