The KuFu Blog

Musings of Steph & Robert's life on Barrington Avenue

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Steph's Bday: In the Prime of Life

I turned 37 on Friday and admit I had woken up feeling a bit teary-eyed about my now official lean towards 40. But Robert, the ever-mathematical punner put the day in perspective: at 37 I'm back in my PRIME. Which hasn't happened since when? All you former math students out there? Right, 31.



Last year's four-day bash was about the liveliest, craziest birthday ever. Sushi and karaoke at the Peppermint Lounge with surprise party favors for guests (Robert outdid himself here). Pizza making party at home for friends with families, followed by a Sunday House of Blues Gospel Brunch. Lots of great partying fun. This year I asked for something a little more low key, and nature-oriented. So Larry, Robert and I had a quiet surf and turf dinner at Delmonico's (Robert had his first taste of beef in 3 years), followed by the annual tarot reading (thanks Larry) and a game of Scrabble (I killed but they probably let me win).

Sunday morning Robert drove us up PCH through Malibu for a hike in Zuma Canyon. Pure wilderness: yuccas in bloom, humbolt lillies, poppies, rabbits, lizards and hummingbirds. You had to swim through the wild overgrowth on the trail to get to the rocks and limpid pools and waterfalls.




It was to be a 1 mile trail that led to a waterfall and we were welcomed by at least 4 sections of running water. On the way back, we opted to take the path less travelled and take the Zuma Loop Trail back to the car. Two miles and 2000 feet straight up we started wondering if we really were headed to the car? I suggested we turn around which turned out to be a wise move as the Loop hike was a 10 mile, 6 hour, 4-star difficulty trail. We probably would have died from lack of fitness.

On the way down met up with the most beautiful white horse Cappucino (should have been called Cafe au Lait?). He let us pet his head and coat. Extraordinary. When we bumped into a family on the trail and asked the kids if they saw Cappucino they replied, "Oh yeah, it pooped right next to our car in the parking lot!" Ah the childhood obsession with poop. Beats the things I get obsessed about as a 37-year old like: back problems, work, politics, bills, computer viruses, buying a home (eventually) and retirement.

Thanks to Mama, David, Mom & Dad Ku and friends for the cards, calls and e-mails. The award for MOST CREATIVE CARD goes to Mom and Dad Ku of Suku Productions!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home