Observations on a Prom

Going to a high school prom when you're 36 is a surreal experience. Trite but true. Robert served as chaperone for the New Roads prom last Friday and I went as his date. We skipped the corsage ritual which we decided exists only to give teen boys a chance to touch the goods right under the nose of doting parents. I did my best to look gorgeous in the 15 minutes I had to get ready (note to self: for chaperones, prom begins at 5). Robert wore his wedding suit which in my opinion, is a killer suit on him.
We drove up PCH to Duke's in Malibu for a pre-prom chaperone dinner courtesy of the school. Apparently, dinner isn't included in student proms anymore, just finger food. Thumbs up to the grilled halibut I ordered. The teachers at New Roads are the coolest bunch of co-workers Robert could have, all genuinely dynamic, warm spirited, funny folks. Like every work event, it's tough to launch into topics beyond work. It's a gravity pull that's inescapable in any job I think, so thankfully there was one other fiance date to smile silently to, and eventually talk Star Trek with (which is probably about as interesting as work talk but hey, the Next Generation was a great series).
Kids arrive at 8pm. All seem to pass the drinking/drug test at the door.
Official observations from a 36-yr old prom date:
1. Songs like "YMCA," ACDC's "All Night Long," and "Funky Cold Medina" will never lose their prom playing appeal.

2. You're no longer cool when you recognize only three songs played during the night.
3. You're no longer cool if you're still using the word "cool." I don't even know what the current word is but I'm not it!
4. It's now cool to go to prom with friends instead of a date provided you all look fabulous.
5. Gunne sax dresses are out -- thank God.
6. Purple shirts for guys are in -- as long as you are the only one wearing one. Makes a Napoleon Dynamite statement (see right).

7. Kids today look a lot more sophisticated than I do.
8. Students actually talk and dance with their teachers. This was a shocker but then again, maybe it's a New Roads phenomenon since I've already mentioned, the teachers are the coolest bunch.
9. Robert has been an amazing influence on these kids. They LOVE him so much, yes I admit, I got jealous.
10. At any age, proms can bring out the angst ridden teen in all of us. I'm living proof. Thank God Robert has already agreed to love me for better or for worse.
Lesson of the night: Forget trying to relive the past. Live for the present, with lots of hope for the future.
p.s. Thanks David P. for being my one great prom date in high school.
Labels: friends

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home